Research Engineer Protein Purification
We are looking to recruit a research engineer to Affibody’s protein chemistry group. The location is at our newly established premises in Solna.
The research engineer will be part of the protein chemistry group, currently consisting of 11 employees and will be directed by the objectives and demands of the research and development projects.
The protein chemistry group is scientifically and technically responsible for the downstream purification steps and the biochemical and biophysical analytical methods needed in the biopharmaceutical manufacturing of Affibody® molecules. The group is also responsible for supporting the internal research process with development of new Affibody® molecule candidate drugs. The group supports with subject matter expert competence in tech transfer to contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs), for scale-up, process optimization, manufacture and supply of Drug Substance (DS) and Drug Product (DP) for Affibody’s projects in non-clinical, clinical-, and commercial development. The work is conducted in close collaboration with the CMC group and other relevant groups at Affibody that are involved in the internal research process and manufacturing of DS and DP.
The person suitable for this role has a strong interest in practical laboratory work.
The role in general
The role is focused on purification of Affibody® constructs, in Affibody’s research pipeline, as well as in downstream process development after CD selection. He or she will plan and execute experiments, perform in-process analyses, analyze data, and report results to meet specified timelines and objectives.
As research engineer in the protein chemistry group your main responsibilities include:
- Plan and execute experiments, analyze data and report results to meet specified timelines and objectives
- Plan and perform purification of Affibody constructs from E. coli cultivations (e.g. Affinity purification, RPC purification, IEX purification and buffer exchange)
- Plan and perform in-process analyses and analysis of final purified product (e.g. SDS-PAGE, RP-HPLC, LC/MS, SEC, Circular dichroism measurement, Endotoxin analysis and A280 measurement)
- Plan and execute accelerated and photostability studies of Affibody® constructs in the CD selection pipeline
- In cooperation with other group members, plan and execute downstream process development of selected CD, including technology transfer to CMO for out-sourced GMP production
- Execute documentation and report findings within given timelines
The right candidate fulfills the following qualifications:
- Degree from an academic program within Life Science, e.g. Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Biomedical Scientist (Swedish: BMA) or similar
- Hands-on experience from work with protein purification, preferably purification of recombinant proteins
- Experience from independent planning and performing of experiments, and analyzing of data
- A theoretical understanding of protein chemistry and protein purification
- Experience from independent planning and performing of experiments, and analyzing of data is an advantage
- Verbal and written communication skills in English
- Industrial experience from development of biopharmaceuticals is an advantage
- Experience of experimental planning using Design of Experiments (DoE) would be an asset
We are looking for a person with great skills and interest in practical laboratory work, with an ability to plan experiments and to draw conclusions from generated results. To be successful in the role you need to be thorough with a high ability to create and keep order. You need to have a strong sense of personal accountability working independently as well as in teams. The role requires good communication and interaction skills.
We will interview candidates from November 2020 and continuously, and welcome your application today!
Please send your application (CV and a note on why you think this is your next step) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the role, please contact Head of Protein Chemistry, Per Jonasson, at email@example.com.
Affibodys latest Press releases
Affibody in short
Affibody is a Swedish biotech company focused on developing next generation biopharmaceuticals based on its unique proprietary technology platforms: Affibody® molecules and Albumod™.
Upcoming reports Financial calendar
- Interim Report January to March 2020 (May 15, 2020)
- Interim Report January to June 2020 (August 21, 2020)
- Interim Report January to September 2020 (November 13, 2020)
- Year End Report 2020 (February 2021)