Research and development of protein-based therapeutics
Research & Development
The Affibody® technology includes the Affibody® molecules and Albumod®, Affibody’s proprietary albumin binding technology.
Affibody® molecules are a novel class of antibody mimetics with superior characteristics surpassing monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) and antibody fragments. The company has created a large library consisting of more than ten billion Affibody® molecules, all with unique binding sites, from which binders to given targets are selected. Affibody® molecules are only 6 kDa in size, have an inert format (no Fc function), and have already successfully been tested in humans as targeting moiety. In addition, the inherent properties of Affibody® molecules hold promise for more efficacious blocking by using multi-specific constructs.
The Albumod® technology is designed to enhance the efficacy of biopharmaceuticals by extending their circulatory half-life through a strong binding to albumin. The Albumod® platform is based on a 5 kDa small albumin binding domain (ABD), and enables modified and enhanced pharmacokinetics, offering the same distribution profile as albumin, and in addition gives the potential of enhanced targeting of inflammation through albumin association.
Affibody’s proprietary technology offers several key advantages over current targeted approaches, including:
- multi-specific formats enabling bi-specific binding and extended half-life
- site-specifically modified drug conjugates with excellent tox profile and high tumor uptake, and
- biodistribution flexibility and good tissue penetration to reach targets that are difficult to reach for antibodies.
The small size of both the Affibody® molecules and Albumod® gives the opportunity for superior sub cutaneous formulation, with ten times higher dose per injection volume, compared to mAbs.
Affibody is developing a portfolio of innovative drug projects and, in addition, offers the half-life extension technology, Albumod™, for outlicensing.
Affibodys latest Press releases
Affibody in short
Affibody is a Swedish biotech company focused on developing next generation biopharmaceuticals based on its unique proprietary technology platforms: Affibody® molecules and Albumod™.
Upcoming reports Financial calendar
- Interim Report January to March 2020 (May 15, 2020)
- Interim Report January to June 2020 (August 21, 2020)
- Interim Report January to September 2020 (November 13, 2020)
- Year End Report 2020 (February 2021)